How can we help you?

Phone number: + 31 20 426 63 60

Please include your employee number and/or policy number in your email.
Do you want to send sensitive information to us? Then use the secure environment of MijnIFFPensioen instead of e-mail. Also make sure you do not provide more information than we ask for.

Postal address:

Postbus 123, 1180 AC Amstelveen

Visiting address

Prof. E.M. Meijerslaan 1, 1183 AV Amstelveen

Frequently asked questions

  • U kunt uw vraag aan het bestuur stellen via

  • Arrange the transfer online via or let your new pension fund know that you want to take your pension with you.

  • You should choose either the high/low or the low/high option not less than two months before your retirement date. Six months before you retire, you will be sent a letter and several forms from the pension fund. You can use these forms to notify us whether and how you wish to apply any of the available pension options.

  • Wijzigingen in uw persoonlijke omstandigheden kunnen van invloed zijn op uw pensioenuitkering. Deze kunt u schriftelijk en ondertekend aan ons doorgeven. Alleen als u binnen Nederland verhuist hoeft u uw adreswijziging niet door te geven. Wij ontvangen deze informatie automatisch van de Basisregistratie Personen (BRP).

Notify changes?

You do not need to notify changes to us if you live in the Netherlands. Changes of address, a marriage, death or divorce are notified to us automatically by your municipality. You do not have to notify us in this case. 

You can register a different e-mail address in Mijn gegevens. 

If you are moving house abroad, or you wish to receive your mail at a different address, you can notify us in Mijn gegevens.

Do you have a complaint?

We will do our best to help you as much as possible. But you may not be satisfied. You can call us on 020 426 63 60 from 08:30 to 17:00 from Monday to Friday.

If we cannot resolve the matter together, you can submit your complaint by e-mail to stating:

  • Your complaint: what are you not satisfied with?
  • Your policy number:
  • Your telephone number, so we can call you and obtain a full understanding of your complaint.

Your e-mail should clearly state that it concerns a complaint.

Read about how we will process your complaint here.