Are you moving abroad during your retirement? Nothing changes with respect to your gross pension. There are however a number of other things you need to consider.

Receiving your pension benefit abroad

Having your pension benefit paid in another country has several consequences:

  • It may take longer before your pension benefit is credited to your foreign bank account

  • Our bank may charge a fee for the transfer to a foreign bank account

  • The receiving bank may also charge a fee. The banks (in the Netherlands and/or abroad) will deduct these fees from your pension benefit. In this case you will keep less of your pension benefit

Dutch tax

Even if you live abroad, you are still obliged to pay tax on the pension paid to you in the Netherlands. We are therefore obliged to withhold income tax from your pension. If you live in a country with which the Netherlands has concluded a treaty to avoid double taxation, you can request the Dutch Tax & Customs Administration to issue an exemption certificate. In your request, you should always state our tax withholding number (0038.29.200.L01) and the name of the Fund (IFF Pensioenfonds).

Once we have received the exemption certificate, we do not have to deduct income tax from your pension. You can apply for an exemption certificate to:

Belastingdienst/Limburg/kantoor Buitenland
Postbus 2865
6401 DJ Heerlen Nederland
Telephone: +31 555 385 385

Health insurance

If you emigrate to another country, your Dutch health insurance will lapse. If you are still receiving a pension from the Netherlands, and you are moving to or already live in a treaty country, you are entitled to medical care in your new country of residence. You have to register with the Central Administration Office for Exceptional Medical Expenses (the CAK). For more information, go to the CAK website.

Life certificate

If you live abroad while receiving a pension from us, we will not receive any notification from foreign agencies upon your death. This means that we have to assess your details each year in order to ensure you are still alive and are entitled to the pension.

The assessment is made via the Register of Non-Residents (Registratie Niet-Ingezetenen, RNI). If the details from the RNI are insufficient, in October you will receive a request to complete and return a ‘Life certificate’ form. The form consists of two parts. You must fill in the first part yourself, and have the second part filled in by a competent authority. Competent authorities are:

  • A civil-law notary
  • Your municipality
  • Justice of peace
  • The local police
  • A Commissioner for Oaths (Australia, Canada, New-Zealand, USA, United Kingdom and South Africa)
  • An embassy or consulate

A solicitor, lawyer or attorney-at-law are not competent authorities. If your life certificate is stamped and signed by a solicitor, lawyer or an attorney-at-law, your life certificate will not be accepted.

Return the form on time

Please make sure that we receive the form not later than 31 December in the year in question to ensure you will continue to receive your pension without interruption. You can return the form in the following ways:

Upload to MijnIFFPensioen. Go to ‘Mijn gegevens’ and select ‘Documenten digitaal aanleveren’

By e-mail to

By surface mail to Pensioenservice, Postbus 123, 1180 AC AMSTELVEEN, The Netherlands.

If you wish to return the form in digital format, please make sure that your document is in JPG, JPEG, PDF or PNG format and that it is not larger than 8 MB. In some cases we will need the original form, for example:

  • if the competent authority has used a dry stamp (an impression in relief with a seal or stamp for which no ink is used) with the signature
  • if we specifically request this

You can also visit us if you happen to be in the area

If you are in the Netherlands, you may make an appointment to visit us* to show you are still alive. Call or e-mail us for an appointment.

*Visits are not possible at the moment due to the coronavirus.